Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Alfredo Sauce (made with cream cheese)

     Stay with me on this one.  I know it sounds funky, but it works.  Two nights ago I had a craving for pasta with a cream sauce, only one problem...no cream.  I didn't even have half-and-half.  I remembered a Kraft recipe I had that used cream cheese instead.  The end result tastes very creamy and as a added bonus it is much lower in fat.  Don't get me wrong; I'm using the cream if I have it, but this is an acceptable substitute.  This recipe calls for a 1/2 stick of butter.  I actually changed it to 3 tablespoons (a bit better for you) and added a bit more milk,  (it helps with the consistency and I feel ends up creamier).  Trust me, this recipe works.  Try it, you'll see.


First start with cream cheese.  You're going to need 1/2 a package.  If you really want to go crazy healthy, you can use Neufchâtel Cheese, but let's not go super nuts.








Here is the cream cheese, butter, parmesan, salt and pepper.  All that is left is to add the milk, whisk and simmer until it bubbles.  Super easy!





I tossed it with angel hair pasta, untraditional for alfredo, but my wife enjoys it.  I also served it with "unfried" chicken nuggets, another of my wife's favorites.  Doesn't it look creamy and delicious!


Alfredo Sauce (made with cream cheese)
Prep Time: 5 min
Total Time: 20 min
Makes: 4 servings, about 1 cup each

Ingredients

4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, cubed
1/2 cup KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
8 oz. fettuccine, cooked, drained

Directions
MIX cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, milk, butter, white pepper and garlic powder in medium saucepan; cook on low heat until cream cheese is melted and mixture is well blended.

TOSS with hot pasta.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delish...never thought of using cream cheese. And I like angel hair, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used cream cheese to make creamed spinach. Great photos. Can I have the recipe for the chicken?
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete